- Fitness Instructor $10.00 - $15.00
- Description: A group fitness instructor is responsible for leading safe and effective classes for the Office of Campus Recreation. Instructors are to design enjoyable classes that encourage participation and educate patrons on the benefits of exercise and healthy lifestyles.
· Represent the Office of Campus Recreation in a professional and mature manner
· Communicate and interact with a culturally and behaviorally diverse campus population
· Maintain a polite, considerate, and cooperative attitude
· Ability to communicate positively and effectively
· Enforce all facility/program policies, rules, and regulations
· Maintain all equipment and ensure proper use
· Maintain a neat and professional appearance
· Excellent customer service skills
· Detail oriented and self-motivated
· Attend all regularly scheduled training and/or meetings
· Model program values and expectations
· Go through Blood Borne Pathogen training
· Be able to meet all requirements to get onto payroll
· Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
· Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Current American Red Cross CPR, First Aid & AED certifications.
- Experience and background in a specific class offering.
- Audition teaching a class for Fitness Coordinator of the Office of Campus Recreation.
- Ability to communicate positively and effectively.
- Ability to teach and conduct safe & appropriate classes.
- Ability to respond promptly and appropriately to questions.
- Ability to teach all fitness levels and provide motivation to all participants.
- Ability to give modifications throughout class and encourage participants to exercise at their own comfort level and to take water breaks as needed.
- Duties and Responsibilities
- Be on time and ready to teach when scheduled. This includes arriving 15 minutes prior to scheduled class time. Have a class format prepared, bring music if needed, and other items you may need during class.
- If participants do not show up for the class the instructor has to wait for at least 15 minutes before leaving.
- Monitor participants’ intensity levels. Watch for signs of overexertion and have participants take periodic heart rate checks.
- Make yourself available for questions or comments following classes.
- Enforce all facility/program policies, rules, and regulations.
- Maintain all equipment and use properly.
- Inform Fitness Coordinator when unable to teach class and finds own replacement.
- Provide emergency care/response if necessary until more advanced care arrives.
- Inform Fitness Coordinator or Facility Supervisor when accidents/injuries occur and help give information for the UTM Report of an Occurrence Form.
- Greet all participants prior to class.
- Have knowledge of all class types and be able to provide members with class descriptions.
- Create a positive class environment that is non-competitive and non-threatening.