Position Title: Lifeguard and/or Swim Instructor
Description: Lifeguarding involves patron surveillance, ensuring the safety of patrons who utilize the pool for recreational purposes, and enforcing rules and regulations. A Swim Instructor is responsible for teaching children and adult swim lessons in the Learn to Swim Program.
- Represent the Office of Campus Recreation in a professional and mature manner
- Communicate and interact with a culturally and behaviorally diverse campus population
- Maintain a polite, considerate, and cooperative attitude
- Ability to communicate positively and effectively
- Enforce all facility/program policies, rules, and regulations
- Maintain all equipment and ensure proper use
- Maintain a neat and professional appearance
- Excellent customer service skills
- Detail oriented and self-motivated
- Attend all regularly scheduled training and/or meetings
- Model program values and expectations
- Go through Blood Borne Pathogen training
- Be able to meet all requirements to get onto payroll
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Current American Red Cross Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR and AED certifications.
- Current American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor certification
- Ability to operate independently within program standards of conduct and professional expectations.
- Early morning, evening and weekend availability
Duties and Responsibilities
- Attend monthly in-services and staff trainings
- Maintains constant surveillance of patrons in the facility; acts immediately and appropriately to secure safety of patrons in the event of an emergency
- Enforce all policies and procedures
- Performing Emergency Protocol when needed (CPR/AED or EAP actions)
- Inspect the facility and report unsafe conditions or equipment to the Aquatics Coordinator and/or Facility Manager
- Performs various maintenance duties as directed to maintain a clean and safe facility
- Swim 500 yards during their shift while on break
- Make yourself available for questions or comments following classes.
- Inform Aquatics Coordinator when unable to teach class and finds own replacement.
- Be on time and ready to teach when scheduled. This includes arriving 15 minutes prior to scheduled class time. Have a class format prepared and other items you may need during class.